- Different Types of Drill Bits
- Six Best Cobalt Drill Bit Reviews
- What are the advantage of using diamond drill bits?
- Buying Guide of Best Cobalt Drill Bits
Owing the best drill bits is mandatory for accomplishing the drilling tasks properly. Manufacturers have introduced different sets of drill bits over the years that are made of different materials like carbon steel, cobalt steel, high speed steel, carbide and titanium coated drills.
Bits made of different materials have different specifications but when we talk about cobalt drill bits we come to know that they are best for drilling through the hard materials and the feature of durability is also high in case of these bits.
Different Types of Drill Bits
Owing some good drill bits is necessary to perform the drilling tasks accurately. There are 7 types of drill bits that are available in the market so here we will illustrate them one by one.
- High-speed drill bits: This type of drill bit is commonly used by the people. The shape of these drill bits is quite similar to the cork screw pasta. These high speed drill bits are utilized for the basic drilling purposes like making holes in walls and wood etc.
- Brad point bits: These brad point bits are known for their clean holes that they leave on the working surface. There is a rubber stopper too on these bits that help you to make a hole according to your desired length and it eliminates the deep holing into the surfaces. These types of bits are utilized for woodworking.
- Masonry bits: As the name of these bits indicates, they are used for masonry work. These are the ideal bits for working with concrete, stone and bricks. But these are not so long lasting and the tips will start to melt when they are used to make holes in concrete due to the heat.
- Rivet bits: These are also known as the hyper-specialized tool accessory. These are designed to drill short or small rivets into the slim piece of sheet metal. These bits have limited use.
- Spade bits: These types of bits have been designed to make very rough holes that you will definitely not look back. They offer a paddle like tip and they are the ideal bits for working with soft woods. They can be used for drilling holes into behind the scene things. The actual purpose of these bits is to facilitate cables.
- Step drill bit: As the name shows, these drill bits have a stair case like appearance so they are used for making holes of different sizes into a material sheet. These bits are quite costly in comparison to the other bits.
- Auger bits: This is the last type of drill bits. They are quite suitable for dry wood. They penetrate naturally in the material and you have no need to apply extra force or pressure to get your work done. It is quite easy to use them.
Six Best Cobalt Drill Bit Reviews
In this section, we will review some best cobalt drill bits to enhance the knowledge of our readers.
Drill America DWDCO Series is consisting of 29 cobalt drill bits that greatly help to facilitate the working of users. These drill bits have a gold finish and they are available into different fractional sizes that range from 1/16 inch to ½ inch in size with the increments of 1/64 inch.
There is a self-centering point at the 135 degrees that can easily penetrate into any type of hard material. These cobalt steel drill bits are much better and have a long life in comparison to other high-speed drill bits that are made of steel.
It’s gold oxide finish helps it to withstand wear and tear because this finish works as a lubricant to protect these bits.
This Drill America DWDCO Series truly meets the standards of ANSI (American National Standards Institute). These drill bits are quite effective for drilling into different type of hard materials like Inconel, Stainless steel and Titanium. The overall weight of Drill America DWDCO Series is 2.2 pounds.
- This series involves all those bits that are necessary for your work.
- You can easily hang drill index on your belt when your hands are on deck.
- This drill bits case fits to anywhere or you can adjust it into a cup holder.
- Cobalt material makes these drill bits long lasting.
- There is no such con of Drill America DWDCO Series.
DEWALT DW1263 is a 14 piece best Cobalt drill bits set and all of these bits greatly help people because these are the commonly used bits. These bits have been designed to provide faster cutting and precision in work.
These bits possess a pilot point tip design that prevents start up walking and facilitates its user with more precise performance.
The drill bits of DEWALT DW1263 have been prepared with the industrial strength cobalt so drilling into hard materials becomes a breeze for workers. These bits are packed into a heavy duty case so it is easy to carry this case anywhere without causing any damage to the bits.
Slot of every bit is labeled so users can stay organized and it is easy to know what number of bit, they are using at a time. These bits are of different sizes and the overall weight of this product is 12.8 ounces. The dimensions of this product are 8.8*8.8*1.4 inches.
- The drill bits of DEWALT DW1263 provide great performance.
- In the making of these bits, strong cobalt material is used that shows how strong these bits are.
- These 14 drill bits cater almost all the needs of users.
- These bits can be transported everywhere because of its heavy duty case that prevents these bits from damage.
- Some users complain that fitting of these bits with some particular driver models is difficult.
IRWIN Drill Bit Set 3018002 contains 29 pieces and these drill bits range in size from 1/16 inch to ½ inch with the increments of 1/64 inch. The most promising feature of this drill bit set is that its bits have a 135 degree split point that immediately start drilling into the materials with the less force.
So these bits avoid the walking across the working surface of your material.
The drill bits of IRWIN Drill Bit Set 3018002 have an 8% cobalt alloy so they are abrasion and heat resistant. This is an ideal set for drilling into the heavy or hard materials like steel. In the making of these bits, high speed steel is utilized that is of industrial grade and it enhances the feature of durability of these bits.
The weight of this set is 4.5 pounds where as the other dimensions of this product are 12*7.5*4 inches. These bits are available in an over molded rubber case that prevents bits from damage in case of an accidental dropping.
- This is an ideal set for drilling into heavy duty materials.
- Use of industrial grade high speed steel enhances the features of durability of these bits.
- This product includes a wide range of the bit sizes.
- Bits need frequent oiling to avoid breakage.
Bosch Cobalt CO21 is another cobalt drill bit set that has been designed to perform drill tasks into abrasive or hard materials like cast iron, stainless steel and other high density materials. This Bosch set can be utilized for wood, plastic and other light gauge metal.
These drill bits have a no skate split point tip that gives accurate or precise yet clean start to your drilling task.
These Bosch cobalt drill bits are 4 times longer than the standard steel drill bits and they give excellent performance when they are used for stainless steel. The weight of this product is 1.1 pound and the other dimensions of this set are 4.9*9*1.5 inches.
This is an ideal tool set for the professionals and contractors who need reliable drill bits for working. The bits provided in this set are of different sizes so they greatly help to facilitate the work of its users.
- This drill bit set is quite suitable for high temperature drilling tasks.
- It can easily pass through the hard materials like stainless steel.
- Its larger bits offer three sided shank design that helps to avoid the stripping of material and provides great control.
- A right tool for professionals.
- It’s really hard to read the sizes that are printed on these bits.
- Some users complain about its carry case. They found it faulty.
Craftsman 9-64085 is a professionally designed cobalt drill bit set that offers plenty of drill bits into different fractional sizes like the bits range from 1/16 inch to 3/8 inch in size. This set comes with a plastic carrying case that is easy to hold and manage during traveling.
The drill bits of Craftsman 9-64085 have been designed for heavy duty applications like they can be utilized easily for any hard material. The split point design allows the easy penetration and it helps to avoid walking. This is an ideal set for stationary machines and drill presses.
The weight of Craftsman 9-64085 is 1.27 pounds and the other dimensions of this product are 11*10.6*1.8 inches. This set is the first preference of the professional craftsman as it holds all the bits that are necessary for their job.
- This cobalt drill bit set contains all those necessary bits that range from 1/16 to 3/8 inch in size.
- A nice plastic carrying case is provided that is easy to carry everywhere.
- The split point tips provide great accuracy in drilling.
- High speed cobalt steel is utilized in its making so these are the highly durable bits.
- The ideal use of these bits is for stationary machines and for the drill presses.
- The drill bits of this set do not offer the side notches.
Drill Hog M42 is a cobalt drill bit set that contains 29 drill bits and it perfectly caters to the drilling needs of the users. These bits are made of super high speed steel so they are quite suitable for drilling into tough or hard materials like stainless steel, truck frames, spring steel, farm implements and many more.
These 29 bits vary in size and these sizes range from 1/16 inch to ½ inch with the 1/64th increments.
Drill Hog M42 bit set is an ideal tool for drilling and its High Heat Treated Harness is 68-70 HRC. These cobalt drill bits offer 135 degree split point that eliminates the feature of walking and makes your drilling task as smooth as it can be.
Its feature of Tri-Flat Shank is amazing as it helps to avoid the spinning in chuck. The melting point of these drill bits is 2853 degrees Fahrenheit.
The overall weight of this drill bit set is 3.25 pounds and the other dimensions of this product are 7*4.4*1.8 inches.
- These are made of solid steel and they have a high melting temperature.
- Sturdy and durable construction makes these bits durable and long lasting.
- There is a black oxide coating on these bits so they can resist corrosion and wear and tear easily.
- You can work with them into different conditions.
- This drill bit set is quite pricey as compared to the other sets but it offers high quality.
What are the advantage of using diamond drill bits?
Diamond drill bits are commonly used with the portable drill and they are known for their clean holes. They offer some amazing advantages too which are as follow,
- It is quite easy to cut hard or tough material through diamond drill bits.
- These bits provide cutting facility at such a higher speed.
- The most amazing fact about these bits is that they prevent from cracks and chips.
- They create very less noise so users who have to perform drilling tasks for longer hour, they are the ideal ones.
So these are the key advantages of working with the diamond drill bits.
Buying Guide of Best Cobalt Drill Bits
In market, plenty of drill bits are available that are made of different materials but the people who have utilized cobalt bits they consider them best.
But before buying any of the best cobalt drill bit, you need to consider the following points. These points will help you to select one that suits best according to your working requirements.
- Material of drill bits: This is the most valid point that you must consider while buying the cobalt drill bits. Material of the bits matters a lot so the cobalt drill bits that contain high cobalt content with the alloy steel are considered as the ideal bits. This is so because this mixed material enhances the heat resistance and the sturdiness of the bits.
- Length: Length is another important point that needs your attention. It is a matter of fact that as the length of a bit goes up, its toughness and durability goes down. The cobalt drill bits with the shorter length are always recommended because they can easily withstand wear and tear and they can survive twisting and spinning too.
- Size: Variety of bits matters a lot. You should prefer those cobalt drill bit sets that offer drill bits of different sizes. The benefit of these multi-sizes drill bit set is that you can use it for a plenty of drilling or machine work tasks.
- Tip point style: Last but not the least is the tip point style. Tip point style of a bit defines the penetration capacity of a drill bit into different type of materials. Cobalt drill bits come with different tip point styles like V-point, split drill point, brad point, tapered point and the fish point. The most common design is the 135 degree split point style that is generally used by the people.
In short buying the best drill bit set is necessary as it provides an ultimate solution to all your drilling problems. Although in market plenty of options are available but people who have used cobalt bits they claim that they are the best. Above mentioned drill bits are considered as the best cobalt drill bits so you can select them without any hesitation.
Visit Other Reviews