When we talk about drilling, we are actually talking about making holes and a hole is perfect when the bits are of accurate size and good quality. In market, variety of bit sets are available and the number of pieces that each set contains are also different so you have to carefully determine that what size of diameter of a hole you are in need of than you can select an appropriate bit size. A good drill bit set does not only ease your work but also it saves your time and energy.
High quality bits make your investment really long lasting and they give a really nice look or finish to your work whether it is a hard material or the soft one. Here we will talk about some the best drill bits for drill press that are actually quite famous among users for their excellent results. These reviews will definitely enhance your knowledge regarding the different drill bits and you will learn a lot from these reviews.
Best Drill Bits For Drill Press Review
1. PORTER-CABLE Forstner Bit Set, 14-Piece (PC1014)
Well this 14 pieces set is also very good for use. The bits of this set feature the optimized cutting angles so it is really easy to create the flat bottom holes. Another good thing about these bits is that they have open tooth design so you can easily create a fast yet clean hole that is the biggest advantage of these bits.
These bits give a fine finish to your work and it saves your time and energy too. PORTER-CABLE Forstner Bit Set has been actually designed keeping in view the feature of durability so these bits are really long lasting. Their good quality material that is hardened steel really makes your investment worth mentioning. The weight of this set is 3.92 pounds and the other dimensions of this set are 13*11.1*2.7 inches.
This set includes different sizes of bits so if you have this set at the time of work, you will really love this set as it will ease your work for you. These bits come in a very handy carrying case. These bits are organized with in the case in a way that the sizes of the bits can be easily identified so it becomes really easy to select a bit of the concerned size. On the whole this is a good set of bits.
- This 14 piece set is really a durable and long lasting product.
- Its open teeth design distinguishes this set from others.
- If you are looking for the clean flat bottomed holes then nothing could be better these bits.
- This is a reasonably priced product.
- Some users complain that the bits get dull quickly after some time of use.
- Another issue that has been observed that is the poor cutting edge.
2. IRWIN Marples Forstner Bit Set, 14-Piece (1966893)
This is the set of best drill bits for drill press as it has been designed to create high quality and clean flat bottom holes. You have no need to put extra efforts for making holes as it allows an easy yet high quality drilling.
This set features ultra sharp cutting teeth that can easily cut through soft and hard wood and they efficiently help in completing you drilling task. In comparison to the traditional bits, these bits are much faster and they significantly reduce your cutting or drilling time. IRWIN Marples Forstner Bit Set1966893 is a great set and it has a reduced shank.
This shank easily fits to a 3/8 inch and many other larger drill presses and drills. This set includes 2 forstner bits of ¼ inches and it includes 3/8 inch, ½ inch, 5/8 inch, ¾ inch, 7/8 inch, 1 inch, 1-1/8 inch, 1-1/4 inch, 1-3/8 inch forstner bits. The weight of this set is 4 pounds and the other dimensions of this set are 3.2*11.6*11.5 inches.
- Such a light weight set that can be carried everywhere.
- Provides efficiently drilling service to its users.
- This set helps to create precise holes.
- Sharp cutting teeth can equally drill efficiently in soft and hard wood.
- Shank fits to different types of drills and drill presses easily.
- This set is an ideal one for cabinet making, wood working and for many more other uses.
- Some users complain that the teeth of this set loose their sharpness after some period of time.
3. WEN DB15 Titanium-Coated Drill Bit Set (15 Piece)
This is another good drill bit set that includes 15 pieces of bits and an amazing thing about these bits is that they come with titanium coating. This coating does not only provide a great finish to these bits but also it makes these bits breakage and wear resistant that is great.
These bits feature 135 degree of split point that helps to avoid any splits or walking. The size of these bits varies from 1/16 to ¼ of an inch. This size is with the intervals of 1/64 inch. This is a great set that is ideal for many types of drill presses and drills. The bits of this set equally work on plastic, wood and metals.
The weight of this set is 9.6 ounces and the other dimensions of this set are 6*4*1.5 inches. Titanium coating enhances the feature of durability of this set so you can get benefits from this investment over a long period of time. Bits create clean holes that give proper finish to your work.
- This is a light weight drill bit set that can be easily carried everywhere.
- These bits come in a carrying case so you can store them without any trouble.
- These are the long lasting bits as they come with the titanium coating that makes them wear and tear resistant.
- Suitable for many drill presses and drills.
- Precise holes can be created easily.
- This is a budget friendly set of drill bits.
- These bits do not have shank. They are just round.
4. IRWIN Drill Bit Set, 60-Piece (80181)
Well when we talk about the drill bit sets for drill press, we come to know about different sets but here we cannot ignore the name of IRWIN drill bit set. This set has been designed to facilitate precise drilling services to its users. This is a 60 pieces set and these bits are made of high quality steel so they never disappoint you.
Every bit is highly finished and durable. The bits of this set feature a 118 degree chisel point tip so they can be easily used for the sake of general purpose applications. This set is an ideal one for tapping applications as it provides precise holes. The use of this set is also recommended when users are in need of non fractional size holes.
You can ideally use this set for maintenance, repair, automotive and it can be used for different drill press applications too that is amazing. The weight of this set is 1.17 pound and the other dimensions of this set are 5.6*3.5*1.1 inches.
- This set is made of high quality steel so you can use it easily over a longer number of years.
- It is an ideal set for tapping applications.
- It is really easy to maintain this set.
- These are user friendly bits so everyone can use them.
- This set is light in weight so you can carry it everywhere without any trouble.
- These bits are strongly recommended for maintenance, repair and other automotive tasks.
- This is a good set but it is generally recommended for light duty tasks. You need to buy other bits for heavy tasks.
5. Craftsman 9-64085 Professional Cobalt Drill Bit Set, 21 Piece
This is another professional drill bit set that includes 21 pieces of bits. The sizes of these bits range from 1-1/16 inches to 3/8 inches. These bits are provided in a plastic carrying case so it is really easy to organize and store these bits. And another good thing is that you can place this case easily in your tool box and carry it everywhere with you that is amazing.
This is a professional cobalt drill bit set that has been engineered to perform all heavy duty tasks. These bits can drill through all type of metals including the soft ones and the hard ones. Drilling has never been so easy before this set. Craftsman 9-64085 Professional bits have split points so these bits can easily go through the materials and they help avoid walking.
This is an ideal drill bit set for stationery machines and drill presses. The weight of this set is 1.27 pounds that shows that it is not a heavy set. The other dimensions of this set are 11.02*10.63*1.75 inches. High quality material of these bits really makes them long lasting.
- Light weight set so the feature of portability is really high.
- Easily drill through all type of metals whether the hard ones or soft ones.
- High quality material really enhances the feature of durability of this set.
- A right tool for craftsman that can be easily stored.
- It offers all those essential bits that are needed within the size range of 1-1/16 to 3/8 inch.
- There is just one con. These bits do not offer side notches.
6. BOSCH B14616 5-Piece Brad Point Drill Bit Set
Last but not the least is the Bosch B14616 drill bit set. This is a 5 piece set that has been engineered to facilitate clean holes while drilling. This set is known for creating clean holes in wood without any trouble. The tips of these bits provide accurate start and the easy positioning facility too.
These are the best drill bits for drill press because they come with the extra wide flutes. Such wide flutes have been designed to provide fast chip removal service to its users. This set has been specially designed for drill presses and portable drills.
The weight of Bosch B14616 5 piece set is 11.2 ounces and the other dimensions of this set are 0.5*4.88*8.88 inches. Like the other sets of Bosch, this set is also known for its amazing results of creating clean and neat holes.
- This 5 piece bit set is very useful.
- It creates very clean holes and gives great finish to your work.
- These bits are light in weight.
- Fast chip removal due to its wide flutes is possible.
- This is an ideal drill bit set for drill presses and other portable drills.
- Gives an accurate and precise start to your work.
- These bits do not come in a carrying case so it is difficult to store them.
- This bit set is not recommended for creating holes in plastic.
Features to consider in drill bits for drill press
Drill bits come in different sizes and as we all know that different drill bits are for different jobs. Here we will discuss the features of the best drill bits for drill press that should be considered before selecting the appropriate one.
Material of bits
The first feature that you should consider is the material of the drill bits. Drill bits for the drill press come in different materials. Some are for soft surfaces and some are for hard. Drill bits that are made of high carbon steel are usually inexpensive but they can be used for a limited time as they lose their edge very soon. They need to be sharpening time and again. On the other hand, there are High Speed steel drill bits that are generally recommended because they cope with the high temperature easily.
Feature of coating is also very important. Drill bits that offer black oxide coating; they are really good as they provide protection against corrosion. They are also heat resistant and make the investment long lasting. There are drill bits that come with the Titanium Nitride coating too. These are also good for drill press as this coating keeps the edge of the bits still sharp for a longer period.
Drill bit angle
Angle matters a lot while choosing the best drill bits for drill press. Drill bits come with 2 angles. One is 118 degrees and the other one is 135 degrees. 118 degree drill bit point is considered the most aggressive one. It has been designed to work with the softer materials. 135 degree angle is called the less aggressive angle and it is mainly designed for hard materials. Both type of angles work best with the drill press so it depends upon the nature of the work that you have to accomplished with drill press.
Diverse drill bits
Diversity is a feature that needs your attention. While working with the drill press, you need to work with the multiple drill bits. And these bits would be of different sizes to facilitate your work. So a drill bit set that holds multiple size bits for drill press is ideal one. You can easily use it for a variety of purposes.
Drill bits that avoid walking
Bits that help to avoid walking are always ideal one as they provide more finish to your work and make it flawless. Users must consider the feature of walking while selecting the drill bits for drill press if they want more precision and finish in their work.
Easy to use
Ease of use is another core feature of the drill bits that is considered important while making the selection for drill press. Drill bits that can be easily used with the drill press are always appreciated because they save your time and energy and allow you to work faster.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I put a router bit in a drill press
yes, A router bit is a special type of drill bit that is used for routing wood. It has a small, sharp point at one end and a larger, flat surface at the other. The router bit is inserted into the drill press chuck and turned by hand to create grooves in the wood.
Can you use a spade bit in a drill press
If you are looking to drill small holes in wood, metal, or other materials with a drill press, you may be wondering if a spade bit can be used. The short answer is that a spade bit can be used in a drill press, but it may not be the best option. A spade bit is designed to create deep holes, and a drill press may not be able to handle the torque that is needed to drill these deep holes. If you are looking for a bit that will create smaller, shallower holes, a spade bit may be a better option.
Can you use a drill press as a mortiser
A drill press is a versatile tool that can be used for a variety of tasks, such as drilling holes, cutting pieces of wood, and mortising. However, one particular use for a drill press that may not be immediately apparent is as a mortiser. A mortiser is a machine that uses a rotating bit to create holes in wood.
A drill press can easily create the precise hole sizes needed for a mortiser, making it an ideal tool for the job. Additionally, because the drill press is so powerful, it can easily remove any stubborn bits or debris from the hole created by the mortising bit. This makes it easy to get accurate results every time.
All the above mentioned sets have the best drill bit s for drill press and they are also well known among users for their great work. When you are in market, you will definitely find many more sets and brands too so it mainly depends on the users that what they are looking for in a set and what are their needs. Once you have identified your needs then you can easily make a right choice.