- Features to consider before buying cordless finish nailer
- Best Cordless Finish Nailer Review
- 1. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Finish Nailer, Straight, 16GA (PCC792LA)
- 2. DEWALT 20V MAX Finish Nailer 16GA DCN660B
- 3. Ryobi P325 One+ 18V Battery Powered 16 Gauge Finish Nailer
- 4. DEWALT DC618K XRP 18-Volt 16 Gauge Cordless Angled Finish Nailer
- 5. Paslode-902400 16 Gauge Cordless Finish Nailer
- 6. Makita XNB02Z 18V LXT Straight Finish Nailer
- 7. Hitachi NT1865DMA 18V Cordless Angled Finish Nailer
- 8. BOSTITCH 20V MAX Finish Nailer Kit, Angled, 15GA (BCN650D1)
- Things to Consider Before Buying Best Cordless Finish Nailer
- Frequently Asked Questions
Finish nailer is generally known as the tool of professionals but this amazing tool has changed the finishing game to a great extent. That is why now common people or hobbyists have also started to use this tool for their own projects.
This is a versatile product that helps to punch the nails seamlessly and it gives a clean and finished look to the wood works.
Corded and cordless both types of finish nailers are available in the market. Corded are good but the feature of portability is high in cordless ones so it mainly depends upon the choice of users.
Cordless finish nailers are awesome and plenty of models are available so you can select the best cordless finish nailer according to your working needs.
Features to consider before buying cordless finish nailer
The most important question that comes to your mind is what things you should consider before buying a cordless finish nailer. The finish nailers are particularly designed for wood workers and carpenters.
In market, varieties of finish nailers are available and somehow it becomes difficult for you to choose the right option. Here, we will discuss some main points that will help you to choose the right nailer according to your needs.
The first thing that you need to notice is the design of the nailer. It should be ergonomic as you can carry it for long hours and you will not be tired. Try to buy the finish nailer that fits well to your hands.
Do not forget to think about its exhaust fan. If exhaust is located in a poor location, the dust will continuously blow on your face while shooting the nails. Most of the nailers have an air exhaust on its back which is really good.
In addition, many nailers include an adjustable exhaust where you can fix the direction accordingly. Moreover, it is helpful to keep the debris and dust in check.
Dry fire locking system
Let us talk about one of its amazing feature which makes it really admirable. This feature can avert accidents or misfires while nailer is empty.
Most of the finish nailers have this locking system. With the help of this, you will get to know how many nails are gone and when is the exact time to replace them.
If you are planning to have a finish nailer, obviously you have gone through some online research and you must have read about adjustable trigger too. So keep this important point in your mind while looking for the best nailer.
It should have a selectable trigger which permits the user to switch from one mode to another without any hassle. This unique option makes it more trustworthy and it can be utilized easily.
Types of finish nailer
There are two types of finish nailer, few models support 15 gauge and some 16 gauge nail, you have to choose according to your personal and professional needs.16 gauge has a smaller diameter in comparison with the other one but they can easily drive into a thin piece of wood.
Mostly, consumers prefer this model as it is well renowned due to its performance and stability.
On the other hand, if you talk about 15 gauge nails, they are comparatively new, but with the passage of time, they are gaining popularity and becoming the choice of many wood makers.
They have a larger diameter as compared to 16 gauge nailer and this is the main reason, many hobbyists select this nailer.Moreover, you may avert the chance of nail being twisted.
Weight is another great feature which you must consider when you are going to invest your money. This is important because you have to hold it for long period, so this product should be light weight and compact as you can easily carry this from one place to another.
Best Cordless Finish Nailer Review
In this section, we are going to review some cordless finish nailers that are known for their excellent performance.
PORTER –CABLE PCC792LA is a cordless finish nailer and it is a 100% battery powered product. This is a useful product that eliminates the need for the expensive gas cartridges, hose and compressor.
This product facilitates its users with the multiple tool free settings that enhance the productivity of this finish nailer.
PORTER –CABLE PCC792LA has a unique motor design that allows consistent firing of nails into different materials. Its fastener length capacity is 1 inch to 2-1/2 inch whereas its magazine capacity is 100 nails.
PORTER –CABLE PCC792LA is a 16 gauge straight finish nailer and its weight is 5.7 pounds. The other dimensions of this product are 14*4.6*13 inches.
This product offers multi functional dual LED lights that do not only illuminate the working area but also they indicate the error. This is light in weight and it provides ergonomic grip in different positions.
- This is a 100% battery powered product.
- There is no need of hose, compressor and gas cartridges with this product.
- As it is a cordless product so it can be carried everywhere.
- Feature of multiple tool free settings is amazing as it enhances the user safety and productivity of this nailer too.
- Multi functional dual LED lights facilitate the users while working.
- This product comes with battery and charger.
- It is an easy to load nailer.
- It provides ergonomic grip to the users.
- This is a straight finish nailer.
- This is a bit expensive product.
DEWALT DCN660B 20V is a 16 Gauge 20 degree finish nailer. This is a battery powered product that prevents users from the hassle of using compressor, gas and hose. This is a highly portable product that can be carried everywhere.
This product offers a compact design and it is also very light in weight. The weight of DEWALT DCN660B 20V is only 6 pounds. The other dimensions of this product are 13.1*4.4*12.4 inches.
Although it is light in weight but it is a powerful product that works efficiently. Feature of integrated LED lights is amazing so users can continue their work even in the dim lights or darkness.
Its maximum initial battery voltage is 20V whereas the nominal voltage is just 18. This product comes with the bump operating mode and its magazine capacity is 110 of 1 ¼ inch nails.
- This product offers a compact design and it is very light in weight too.
- Integrated LED lights allow the use of this product even in the dim lights.
- This is a cordless product so it can be taken everywhere.
- It is easy to carry and control this product during work.
- Use of Lithium Ion battery enhances the feature of durability.
- DEWALT DCN660B 20V is a powerful product.
- Only 16 gauge finish nails can be used.
- This product is easily exposed to wear and tear.
- Charger and battery is sold separately.
Ryobi P325 One+ is a cordless powerful finish nailer that comes with a switch on its back. This switch has been introduced to enhance the actual depth of nail driving. This is a great product that works with the help of 18V Lithium Ion battery and this battery is very durable so it really enhances the life of this product.
There is an LED light at the head of this tool that helps to illuminate the working surface for its users so it is possible to continue work even in the darkness. Its feature of low nail indicator is worth mentioning here as it helps to understand the people that when the tool is out of nail and when it needs reloading?
The weight of this cordless finish nailer is 7.99 pounds and the other dimensions of this nailer are 4.1*11.6*12.7 inches. Tool free adjustment makes your work easier as you can adjust the depths simply with the knobs.
- Such a powerful tool that makes your working quite easier for you.
- Low nail indicator allows you to avoid dry firing.
- LED light helps to avoid accidental firing of nails in the darkness and it prevents your working surface from any damage.
- This product belongs to One+ family so it means that you can use this tool with 18V batteries that may include P100, P102, 103, 104, 105, P107 and 108.
- There is no such con of this tool.
DEWALT DC618K XRP 18-volt is a cordless product that has an excellent engine design. This engine allows the equal nail penetration in the hard and soft joints without any trouble and it works really very fast.
In this product there are two modes like sequential operating mode that greatly helps in the precision placement and other one is the bump operating mode that facilitates the users with production speed.
This product comes with the integrated LED lights so users can easily continue their work even in the dim lights. It has a DEWALT 20 degree angled magazine and it can also utilize the other 20 degree angled nails. Feature of contact trip lock-off is amazing as it helps to disable the trigger when the product is not in use.
DEWALT DC618K XRP 18-volt is a light weight product. The weight of this product is 8.5 pounds. The other dimensions of this product are 12.8*4.2*12 inches. Use of Lithium Ion battery in this product enhances the feature of durability of this product.
- This product has a powerful engine that works really very fast.
- There are two modes like sequential operating mode and bump operating mode that facilitate the working of users.
- This is a light weight and easy to maneuver product that prevents users from fatigue during work.
- This is a cordless product so it can be carried anywhere.
- This product can use other 20 degree nails in addition to the DEWALT ones.
- Some users have durability issues with this product.
Paslode-902400 16 Gauge Angled is a cordless finish nailer that is very light in weight. Its angled magazine helps to reach tight spaces and facilitates with crown molding and precise nail placement. This is a versatile product that has been actually designed for trim applications.
This product is powered by a 7V Lithium-Ion battery that allows 12000 nails per charge. Once the battery is fully charged, it provides you an extended run time. This is very light in weight.
The weight of Paslode-902400 is 4.5 pounds so it is easy to carry and control this product. The other dimensions of this product are 17*17*5.5 inches.
This product comes with an anti-dry fire mechanism and no hose makes it an easy to use product. This is a cordless product that is highly portable and it prevents surfaces from scratch during work. Feature of tool free depth adjustment is amazing.
- This is a Lithium Ion battery powered product so it works amazingly.
- This is a light weight product so users feel no fatigue during work.
- Paslode-902400 16 Gauge Angled is a durable product.
- This is a powerful product that is compatible with older models.
- As it is a cordless product so feature of portability is high.
- Anti-Dry fire mechanism is very good.
- This product helps to prevent surfaces from scratch.
- This product often gets jammed.
- There is no bump actuation mode.
- This is a noisy product.
Makita XNB02Z 18V comes with a very powerful motor whose design drives 16 gauges. It features straight finish nails whose length ranges from 1″ to 2-1/2″. This tool by using a 5.0Ah LXT 18 V battery can easily drive up to 1000 finish nails.
This finish nailer is a cordless device which makes it very easy for consumers to finish their nailing jobs. It also does not need any air hose or a compressor. When you are fastening in tighter spots, its compact centre height makes it easy to view around nose tip, which makes job easier in closed spaces.
This product weighs 8.34 pounds and its dimensions are 4.3 x 15.7 x 12.7 inches.This product also features Anti-dry Fire mechanism which has been specifically engineered to prevent any likely damages to the work surface and driving blanks. The incorporated reversible belt clip enables the device to remain close.
- It has an excellent built in quality which makes it one of the effective nailers.
- It is a cordless product so you do not need continuous charging and it is easy to carry it to any area.
- Battery is not originally included in the package.
- It is a bit on heavy side as compared to other tools with same specifications.
Hitachi NT1865DMA is an 18V angled finish nailer that has a brushless motor. This brushless motor provides longer run time and it involves very less maintenance cost. This product is powered by a compact 3.0Ah Lithium Ion battery that is quite lighter and shorter as compared to the conventional 3.0Ah battery.
This product is free from compressor and air hose so it is quiet easy to set up this finish nailer. This product offers the feature of air spring drive system that utilizes compressed air to drive the nails so this system results in zero ramp up time.
There are two modes of working, sequential and bump fire mode so users can select any mode according to their working requirements.
Hitachi NT1865DMA comes with a built in LED light that allows users to work even in the dim light. The weight of this product is 7.5 pounds. The other dimensions of this product are 11*2*12 inches.
Other features like low battery indicator, tool-less jam release, selective actuation, variable position belt hook and tool-less depth of drive make this product more useful.
- This product has a compact design that enhances the usefulness of this product.
- This product works like a pro or champ.
- Brushless motor provides longer run time.
- This product involves less maintenance cost.
- Versatile product that offers two mode of working.
- Integrated LED lights help a lot while working with this product in low light.
- This is a bit heavy product.
- This product can be ergonomically challenged.
- This is an air operated product.
BOSTITCH BCN650D1 is a 20 V Max finish nailer which features a 15 gauge FN angled finish style. The dimensions of the product are 13.3 x 12.8 x 3.7 inches and its size is 5.8 pounds. The material used for this tool is mainly plastic. It runs on the lithium ion battery.
It is a great product as it is cordless so you are not restricted to specific areas where you can carry this product. It saves a lot of time and energy for being cordless. Moreover, it does not require any compressor.
It also features a brushless motor which has tremendous benefits. The engine design and brushless motor can help with finish nails with length of 1-1/4″ to 2-1/2″.
To ensure that you can accurately see the targeted point, narrow nose has been designed in a way to give a clear sight of the location so that nails can be placed in exact location with accuracy especially in tight spaces.
The built in LED lights are multi functional. You can use the light to not only diagnose the tool for any problem but also illuminate the area where you are working. Moreover, the jam release feature in this Bostitch finish nailer enables tool free jam release for easy and quick release of nail jams.
The package of the product includes the finish nailer, battery, charger, kit bag and adjustable belt hook.
- It is a light weight product which is easy to carry around.
- It is a powerful product which makes it easy to finish nailing jobs.
- It runs on the lithium ion battery which is known for its longevity and durability.
- As compared to other tools of the same category, it is quiet an expensive product. This is why, it is not reviewed as good value for money.
Things to Consider Before Buying Best Cordless Finish Nailer
When you visit a market, you often get confused with the features of different models. So here we will discuss some basic points that will ease your task and will let you know that which one is the best cordless finish nailer for you.
Nail size and depth adjustment
Obviously a finish nailer works with the nails so before buying this tool, you must check the nail size and adjustment depth. A good finish nailef is one that offers an easy way of integrating the nail adjustments.
Material and durability
Material and durability are other features that matter a lot while buying a finish nailer. Always select a finish nailer that is made of fine material.
When material will be fine then definitely the life of the finish nailer must be long and you can get benefits from it in the long run as you won’t have to spend extra.
Feature of safety
Safety should be the first priority while using any type of product. So being a buyer, you must pay attention to the safety features of different models. A product with good safety features must be preferred because human safety always comes first.
Size and weight
Generally it is difficult to hold a heavy product for longer time. So size and weight of the product must be considered too. A heavy finish nailer can cause fatigue during work whereas a very light finish nailer also becomes difficult to control as it shivers a lot. So select wisely.
Straight or angled
It is necessary to consider that what type of finish nailer you need. A straight finish nailer is generally more stable and it facilitates its user with more power.
This is a suitable product for exposed surfaces. On the contrary if you want to work with the tight or narrow spaces then angled finish nailer is the suitable one.
So determine your need before buying and then select a product that perfectly suits to your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the biggest advantage of finish nailer?
Finish nailer is a versatile product that can be used for multiple tasks like molding, decorating, roofing and a lot of other tasks can be performed too. It can even drive nails into multiple materials from thin wooden panels to thick concrete material.
What is the difference between angled and straight finish nailer?
Angled finish nailers are used to access the tight or narrow spaces. They usually drive heavier gauged nails. On the contrary, straight finish nailers are used for exposed spaces and they have finer nails.
What is the difference between brad nailer and finish nailer?
The basic difference between the two is the gauge of nail. Finish nailers generally use thicker nails of 15 or 16 gauge. On the other hand, brad nailers use 18 gauge nails only.
What type of nail gun can be used for baseboards?
Finish nailer is a versatile product that utilizes 15 or 16 gauge nails. These nails are generally thicker so finish nailer is an ideal product for baseboards.
Does the feature of safety matter while selecting a finish nailer?
Yes, it is necessary to observe the safety feature while selecting a finish nailer. Always select a finish nailer that is safe for working. A product that can withstand pressure and load is an ideal one for this job.
Finish nailer is a great product that is an essential for wood working and many other projects. Although buying the best cordless finish nailer is an uphill task due to variety of models and brands but if you select wisely, it really makes your work easier.